Wednesday, July 7, 2010

An Infinitesimal Point


From Thoreau’s Journal, June 6, 1857:

This is June, the month of grass and leaves…
Already the Aspens are trembling again, and a new summer is offered me.
I feel a little fluttered in my thoughts, as if I might be
too late.

Each season is but an infinitesimal point.
It no sooner comes than it is gone…
We are conversant with only one point of contact
at a time,
from which we receive a prompting and impulse
and instantly pass to a new season or point of contact.
A year is made up of a certain series and number of sensations and thoughts
which have their language in nature.
Now I am ice, now I am sorrel.

 
This day was special for two reasons:
Firstly, it was the one-year anniversary of this blog. My blogiversary, as some might call it. A time to stop and think. What is a year? A season ? And where do we fit in? And so for today, this quote from Thoreau, who seems to be wondering about the very same thing.

Secondly, it was the long-awaited day of Trailapalooza Two ! The summer edition of a long walk with friends along the Warren County Bike Trail.
This time it was just me and Jackie. We had brought lunches, and were figuring on it taking us all day – no schedule – no hurries. My car was parked at the terminus of the trail in Lake George.
So off we went, on a sort of mega-saunter, seeing what miracles there were along the well-travelled trail.
It had been rainy overnight, and the plants appeared lush and abundant.










Berries were just forming – of course they all got sampled.




After a while, the sun came out – and the tender insects too.





We had a wonderful time, just seeing what was out there. Plants were growing with abandon along this path which has had so much history – battles and railroads and hamlets that came and went. It was a long walk through Time ... and at the end, we see delicate flowers growing over the ruins of an ancient fort...


Dear Jackie,
It was great walking with you today. Thanks for joining me in some of my crazy little ideas this year. That candy I cached along the trail last week (by hanging it in the brook) tasted great, didn’t it?
Thanks too for helping me learn about the green things growing,
and for teaching me things like:


 

never assume –
when it doubt,  look it up –
and when in doubt, get right down there & look closer.


Thanks also for encouraging me to start a blog.
It has become a most satisfying and creative endeavor.
And yes, thanks for prodding me when those blogs appear less frequently.
Here’s looking forward to more little adventures,
Yr. friend,
Sue

1 comment:

  1. Back at you, dear friend and fellow adventurer, thanks for showing me so many delights through your eyes and camera lens. And who else would have got me to squat and croak like a Wood Frog in heat? Looking back over the year's worth of blogposts, I continue to be stunned by the beauty of your photographs and the aptness of your quotes from Thoreau. Here's to another year of companionship and wonders. And those mint Snickers were mighty fine, too.

    ReplyDelete